Saturday, October 3, 2009

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours




This album is unstoppable. Hitting the charts #1 worldwide in 1977 with "Go Your Own Way," Rumours captures that soothing, groovy Fleetwood Mac sound all around. Richmond Row still celebrates this album on a weekly basis and it remains the tenth-best selling album of all time. And for good reason.

Hip and snappy, Rumours was written during a tumultuous period during Mac's history. In-fighting caused a stir between members, thus the album's namesake.

What I miss about this era of music is its innocence. Songs like "Don't Stop" are so openly optimistic and poppy with almost an irreverent happiness and momentum to the singing, structure and instrumentation. Other songs like "Everywhere" and "Betty Davis Eyes" hint at that trademark '80s sound that's around the corner -- highly reverbed backup singing and plucky, tinny guitar riffs.

While "The Chain" is a definite standout in songwriting and lyrics, my personal favourite is "Never Going Back." The only plucky acoustic song -- and impressively so -- this song seems very contemporary, like came out of a modern day folk collab from Saskatchewan. Very minimalist and short, it'll only take two minutes to take you through this Fleetwood Mac experience. So do it, and let me know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. I simply can not believe that some one else out there at Western loves Fleetwood like I do! Before I came to London, my friends and I in Barrie (my home town) would blast Fleetwood Mac and dance around in circles for hours! They are awesome, I recently got the album "Mysteries" on vinyl and it is to die for. I also agree that "Never going Back" is a great song; it is purely delightful! I could listen to it over and over again. It is nice to know that there are people our age who enjoy old music. I used to say that Fleetwood Mac is my guilty pleasure because NOBODY around here listens to them (at least that I know of)but, apparently YOU have good taste and I think it is fantastic :) Keep blogging about those bands you wouldn't expect to hear about and I'll continue to tune in.

    ReplyDelete