Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Carla Bruni - Quelqu'un M'a Dit



This album reminds me of girls, of slow dancing, of warm nights in the winter. Seriously, it's got a deep place in my heart. And it's beautiful.

Carla is now the wife of France's president. Former model turned musician, Carla certainly doesn't write these songs, but damn if she can't sing them.

Acoustically driven, always soft and soothing, Carla's voice is pure and smooth like a 500-thread bedsheet in a fancy French five-star hotel. It reminds me of a lullaby, only if the person singing it wasn't your mother but a former supermodel and you weren't at all related. It's like chocolate, only spelled without the e.

"Le Plus Beau Du Quartier" uses almost no instrumentation for most of it, relying on Carla's lush sexy vocals to carry the tune to its blissful conclusion. I don't know what she's singing and I don't care. Skillfully arranged and at great expense, the album is a professional, shiny piece of work that must be appreciated in a warm house with someone special.

First and last lame post from me. But my class is full of girls and they'll probably like it, if they make it this far.

5 comments:

  1. I love it when you post stuff I've already listened to before/have in my music library. it makes my confidence in music knowledge rocket boost sky high. sweet :D

    ps. yea carla bruni is pretty damn girly but WHATEVER, her voice is friggen out of this world. plus she's french. C'EST MAGNIFIQUE. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey buddy, yeah i think thats due in no small part to my music collection currently containing almost only what i took of YOUR hard drive! i've ripped all the cds i own too, which isn't many, but really my music collection was lost when I got a new laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really nailed this one Stu! Bruni's music is wrongfully dismissed by some as lightweight. (One too many Starbucks and Chill Compilation appearances methinks.) But your assessment goes deeper to correctly expose a more sensual nature that really shines on this record. It is just that element that adds a transportative quality to the listening experience. Something sorely lacking in so much music today.

    Great post.

    sean

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this album. Not only is this album so French and Bruni so girly but this song in particular is so girlishly French. It makes me wonder if all French woman have that saccharine yet haughty nonchalance that Bruni has (or had when she made this back in the 90s when she wasn't France's first lady). Probably, for where would all those stereotypes come from?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stuart...I cannot stand the absence of capitalization on your blogs! I mean, I can tolerate your lower-case texts since it's 'your' blog, but to not be able to see capitals on mine?? Arghh!

    ReplyDelete