Thursday, September 24, 2009

Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism





My first obsession with Death Cab came from Plans, the album following Transatlanticism. I remember seeing Transatlanticism at HMV when I was in high school but I wasn't as enlightened to music then and the name seemed too strange.

What I loved about Plans is painted all over Trans. The wispy, alto vocals about being sad sometimes, happy sometimes, in all kinds of seasons is found here -- just like you can find it all Death Cab and most of the Postal Service. The textured melancholy Death Cab eventually creates on Plans has a minimalistic counterpoint on Trans with songs like "Passenger Seat" becoming far less climactic and sparser than the equivalent Plans follow-up "Different Names for the Same Thing."

If Death Cab learned anything from Trans it was to amp up the amplification, experimentation and rise-and-fall song structure that elevates their follow-up to ethereal heights. But Trans is a startling, moving album all its own. So have a listen.

4 comments:

  1. You have -no- idea how good it is to hear someone else loves death cab as much as I do. Plans is an awesome album.. but I still prefer Transatlanticism. Then again, I think I may be kind of bias considering it was the first Death Cab album I heard/fell for.
    I shall definitely keep an eye on your blog though, and I agree, I think our blogs will get along famously :)
    -jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stuart!

    I just took a look at your blog and I am really impressed. To be completely honest, I have never heard of any of these musicians, aside from death cab,though I am amazed by the array of music you have presented here. You seem to have a very eclectic taste when it comes to your music and I look forward to following your blog to see what new tunes you introduce me to in the future.

    Job well done!

    - Michelle Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought this was a great critique of the album. I'm a huge Death Cab fan as well. Have you seen them live? They are amaaaaazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree with Becky, death cab is an amazing band live. I had the chance to see them two summers ago with Young Galaxy, Rogue Wave, and Stars on Toronto Island. A great line up, Stars absolutely blew me away, but when Death Cab hit the stage right when it got dark, a fog blew in across the entire island and the atmosphere was amazing. Great post, I recommend the song Wait (Secret Stars) off of You Can Play These Songs With Chords. Definitely one of my favourites.

    - Taylor

    ReplyDelete