Thursday, October 15, 2009

Ohbijou - Beacons



My life was pathetic before Ohbijou, a band so endlessly promoted on CBC Radio 3 as the Next Big Thing, they are the mythical indie saviours of Canada's cutesy pop scene. But I didn't give it a chance.

Well, FML, I learned a lesson. Tonight I discovered the incredible skill this band has when they played at Aeolian Hall. It's not just that it's fun, infectious, lush and savoury (like sweet pie filling, ex.), but that they're polished beyond reason, practiced beyond practicality, and celebrate their own performance in such pomp and go-lucky happiness you can't help but swoon for each and every one of these little fancy pant musicians.

Oh my Lord.

"Black Ice" is the peak embodiment of modern indie pop. I tried to describe this music as thick. It's layered and heavy, with a bunch going on, but simply so — it's not Wall Of Sound jarring, it's deep and warm like a bubble bath. And just as soothing. The singer reigns in her vocals, tames her voicebox like unbroken stallions, because when she lets them loose rainbows shoot gushingly from her mouth and wrap around your brain, telling you life will be alright after all.

I just want to crawl inside this music and live there forever.

3 comments:

  1. anonymous comments are fun, everyone

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a great show.
    Also, this post is disgusting it's so well written

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said Stuart. I love Ohbijou, Beacons is a great album. "New Years" is the finest song of their career, I'd love to see Casey push herself vocally like that more. So good.

    ReplyDelete